Jackson man arrested after high-speed chase

Jackson man arrested after high-speed chase


A Jackson man was arrested and charged after leading multiple law enforcement agencies on a high-speed chase that began in Madison and ended in Canton this past weekend, the authorities said.

The man, Jacameron Marshunn Hampton, 20, of Jackson, was arrested and charged with felony fleeing, aggravated assault and multiple traffic offenses that include driving without headlights and speeding, officials said.

Lt. Micah Taylor of Madison PD said Hampton has received a bond of $501,000 and remains in the Madison County Detention Center. He said additional charges are possible and all findings will be forwarded to District Attorney John “Bubba” Bramlett. 

Taylor said the charges stem from an incident that occurred on Saturday, Jan. 21. Madison police officers observed a 2020 Acura traveling at a high rate of speed northbound on Interstate 55 in the Madison City limits at 3:40 a.m. 

According to Taylor, a traffic stop was attempted on the vehicle with the assistance of the Gluckstadt Police Department, but the driver failed to yield and continued northbound on I-55.  

The Madison County Sheriff’s Department was notified and attempted to deploy spike strips near Nissan Parkway, Taylor said. 

“The vehicle turned off its headlights and exited onto Nissan Parkway,” Taylor said.  

A Pafford EMS ambulance was in the area and notified officers that the vehicle was traveling on Nissan Parkway toward Highway 51. 

Madison County Sheriff’s Department, Canton Police Department, Gluckstadt Police Department, and Madison Police Department began searching the area for the vehicle and located it on Liberty Street in Canton near the Piggly Wiggly.  

Responding units attempted to stop the vehicle again, but the driver continued to elude officers and eventually lost control, Taylor said.  

“The vehicle struck a tree in the yard of a residence on North Liberty Street in Canton,” Taylor said.  

Emergency personnel were notified and responding officers took the driver of the vehicle, who was identified as Hampton, into custody on the scene without incident.  

The passenger, Willie James III of Jackson, was treated on the scene and transported to University Medical Center for injuries suffered in the accident.  

“Investigators responded to the scene of the accident and the investigation is ongoing at this time,” Taylor said. 

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions