Lake Harbour, U.S. 51 widening proposal in works

Lake Harbour, U.S. 51 widening proposal in works


RIDGELAND — A proposal to widen the Lake Harbour intersection at U.S. 51 is awaiting MDOT approval.

The proposed improvements are one step closer as the Public Works Department received approval this week to advertise for bids.

Despite unanimous approval from the Mayor and Board of Aldermen on Tuesday evening, they will still need MDOT approval since the Federal Highway Administration needs to sign off.

Public Works Director Alan Hart said it is time to advertise for bids because the city has neared completion of a utility relocating project necessary for the improvement project to commence. He said other utility providers are also working at that intersection.

“We are well on our way,” Hart said.

A memo from city engineer Chris Bryson to Mayor Gene F. McGee says there is currently an issue turning left from Highway 51 onto Lake Harbour. The improvements hope to remedy that issue by widening Lake Harbour from Highway 51 to Christine Drive and other improvements at the intersection, according to Bryson.

Eastbound Lake Harbour traffic turning south onto U.S. 51 stacks up often because the turn lanes are too short.

The improvements will “accommodate the intersection’s increased traffic flow,” Bryson said.

The project will utilize $1,035,000 in federal STBG funding. The grant is expected to cover 75 percent of the project. The city is expected to provide the remaining 25 percent.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions