Hostage situation turns deadly at Crossgates

Hostage situation turns deadly at Crossgates


A drone hitting a ceiling fan could be what set off a suspect barricaded in a home to fire at police on the scene, fatally wounding a Madison Police officer Randy Tyler last week, according to Brandon Police.

Brandon Police Chief Wayne Dearman said in a press conference Thursday afternoon following the standoff that the suspect was last seen laying on a mattress before they believe the drone viewing him hit a ceiling fan.

Dearman said they then saw Wilson grab his rifle and open fire on officers, striking and fatally wounding Madison Police Officer Randy Tyler who was among the officers on the scene as part of a tactical team.

Dearman said they do not know what the suspect's motives were. He said the armed suspect was "teetering" between "stable and unstable and stable again" while negotiators were talking to him during a standoff that lasted almost nine hours.

"He was looking for a fight," Dearman said.

On June 1, at approximately 7 a.m., the Madison Police Department Special Response Team (SRT) responded to Brandon to assist other law enforcement agencies with the barricaded subject at a residence in the Crossgates subdivision, Madison Police Chief Gene Waldrop said.

Waldrop’s account goes on to say that during a subsequent SWAT operation later that morning at the residence, Tyler was fatally wounded by the suspect.  

Department of Public Safety Spokesman Bailey Martin said the suspect was also fatally injured and that a Brandon police officer was shot during the siege but is in stable condition.

The suspect who shot Tyler has been identified as 22-year-old Gabriel Matthew Wilson of Pearl. Wilson was fatally injured by law enforcement on scene who were returning fire after Wilson shot Tyler.

“MBI is currently assessing this critical incident and gathering evidence,” Martin said last week. “Upon completing the investigation, agents will share their findings with the Attorney General’s Office.”

According to Dearman, officers received a call of a possible hostage situation in the Crossgates at approximately 1:20 a.m. that morning reporting a male subject, armed with a rifle, and pistol and wearing body armor was attempting to break into the residence at 60 Terrapin Hill North.

Wilson broke into the home of his girlfriend and held her another female hostage, Dearman said.

One female was able to escape soon after police arrived on the scene. After a lengthy standoff and negotiations, the second hostage was released, according to BPD.

Dearman said that at approximately 5:43 a.m., the suspect began firing shots at officers on the scene, striking the Brandon officer around 6:05 a.m. 

Drones were used to gather information from inside the residence. Dearman said Wilson could be seen laying down on a mattress inside the house. 

Dearman said he believes the drone viewing him hit a ceiling fan around 9:50 a.m. At this time Dearman said they saw Wilson grab his rifle and open fire on officers, striking Tyler. Officers returned fire striking the suspect. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.

“Due to this being an open and ongoing investigation, no further comment will be made at this time," Martin said on Wednesday.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions